RitzCarlton sets up signs for 12-storey on Grace Bay Local Atty says Govt going against public consultation; says NO to taller resort plan Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 18 Dec 2014 – And Jaliyliah Rosati is conscious and doing well thanks to prayers and good thoughts and capable doctors. Rosati, who is very well known for her work with animals through the TCSPCA was in a coma in Doctor’s Hospital after being knocked down on Friday November 28th in the Grace Bay area of Provo. Jaliyliah suffered serious head trauma and was airlifted to Nassau, where she was put into intensive care. Rosati is called a ‘national treasure’ by friends on Facebook; and it seems she will be around to say thank for that outpouring of love and support. Maskanoo to take over Grace Bay strip Boxing Day Saturday Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:grace bay, head trauma, Jaliyliah Rosati, tcspca
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Jan. 19 (JIS): The Ministry of Education is expressing confidence in attaining its goal of85 per cent of students in the grade four age cohort achieving mastery of literacy in 2015.An optimistic Portfolio Minister, the Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, notes that the country is now 7.6 per cent away from achieving this target.“The final measurement will be made at this year’s sitting of the Grade Four Literacy Test,” he said.The Minister was speaking at a meeting with senior journalists at the Alhambra Inn Hotel in St. Andrew recently.Rev. Thwaites pointed out that when the 15 per cent of students who suffer from learning disabilities are accounted for, 85 per cent translates to 100 per cent of the educable cohort.According to National Literacy Co-ordinator, Dr. André Hill, the Ministry will do everything it possibly can in the next few months to maximise as much as possible students’ outcomes in the 2015 Grade Four Literacy Test.He pointed to the deployment of 66 reading coaches across the island to provide direct support to 420 primary schools. Each will work with approximately seven schools. “They will be particularly working with the struggling readers in grade four, providing clinical attention to these students as well as pedagogical support for classroom teachers, in addition to extending further support to the parents in schools that have registered low achievement at grade four over the last three years,” he said.Dr. Hill contended that if the Ministry gets support from the community in addition to what the Ministry is now extending to the school system, “we are certain the outcomes, certainly for this year, will take us very close, if not actually to the 85 per cent.” Meanwhile, the Minister reiterated the importance of the role parents, home life and community have in helping to achieve the target. He noted for instance, that encouraging children to read in Sunday school greatly helps the literacy levels of students.He further urged parents, even if they are not literate themselves, to encourage their children to read.The Minister informed that at the 2014 sitting of the grade four literacy test,77.4 per cent of the age cohort achieved the acceptable standard of mastery in literacy, which represented a 30 per cent increase for the 10-year period – 2004 to 2014. He noted that the improvement in literacy has been the result of the combined efforts of the Ministry’s National Literacy Team and dedicated teachers. “In addition, the country is indebted to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for its support in improving literacy outcomes,” he said. In terms of the numeracy test, Rev. Thwaites informed that 58 per cent of students who sat the Grade Four Test last year attained mastery, a marginal decline of 1.4 per cent over the previous year.“But, there has been a 20 per cent improvement for the past five years, moving from a low of 38 per cent in 2010,” he said.The Minister said that using literacy as a benchmark, the Ministry is pleased with the progress the country has made so far.The Grade Four Literacy and numeracy tests are administered to children to determine their literacy and numeracy levels at grade four, in keeping with international requirements and standards. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Jamaica’s Senate Begins debate on National Identification and Registration Bill Related Items:jamaica, ministry of education, Ronald Thwaites Recommended for you Bahamas DPM Turnquest, as IDB Governor, Talks Technology and Climate Change Resilience at IDB Conclave Two boys die, bicycle and van collide in St. Catherine, Jamaica
Related Items:David smith, free, grand turk prison, olint, ponzi scheme Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Missick & Co Defendants and David Smith all in Court this Week David Smith returns to court in January; heads back to HMP in Grand Turk Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 22 Jan 2015 – No comment for the media; David Smith who had been serving a six and a half year sentence on four counts of financial crimes namely: two counts of money laundering and two counts of conspiracy to defraud whisked his wife through the Provo International Airport terminal today bound for a private vehicle waiting to take them away from the spotlight. Smith has been incarcerated at the Her Majesty’s Prison in Grand Turk since 2010 and is due to complete a Federal sentence in the United States for similar crimes linked to a $220 million Ponzi scheme exposed in 2008; an Orlando court gave him 30 years. Smith was obviously thinner than when we last saw him; still with his signature beard and fresh off a flight out of the capital Grand Turk where he was released. Magnetic Media was told that he is finished his time for the Turks and Caicos; and what is next for the man who once headed Olint, a company founded in Jamaica is unclear. In 2013, the US Department of Justice advised individuals who had invested with Smith that they could make claims for compensation. The report in the Jamaica Observer explains that a part of Smith’s criminal sentence was to forfeit assets seized by federal authorities. In 2011, David Smith was convicted in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida on multiple counts of wire fraud and money laundering. Robert Di Pano, a NY, NJ and Florida attorney who writes frequently on financial crimes cases put the gravity of what David Smith, who is a TCI Belonger into perspective, saying and I quote: “Regardless of the outcome (in the Turks and Caicos), the severity of Smith’s US sentence looms large in the background.” David Smith back in court; continues to fight US Extradition
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, July 21 (JIS): Approximately 18 primary schools with small populations ranging from a low of 16 to a maximum of 68 students will be closed effective September 2015.Minister of Education, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, made the announcement during today’s (July 21) sitting of the House of Representatives.He explained that the closures are intended to achieve greater levels of efficiencies in the school system. The Ministry is projecting savings of $23 million in operational costs from the school closures.Minister Thwaites noted that the 18 schools are among the more than 200 public institutions offering primary level education, which are all underutilised, with an enrolment of 100 students or less. “In most cases, enrolment has declined steadily during the five-year period 2010-2014. In some communities, where the schools are located, the population has been declining, with a small number of youth and many older persons as residents,” Rev. Thwaites said.He added that this has negatively impacted the operational cost for these institutions, noting that while the average per capita expenditure at primary schools amounts to $88,000, in many of these small schools, it is costing up to twice as much to operate them.“Nearly all of the 18 schools targeted for imminent closure have performed below or at about the national average of 77.2 per cent in the 2014 Grade Four Literacy Test. This academic performance is despite the fact that the teacher pupil ratio is less than one to 20 in most of the schools; the ratio is as low as one to seven in several institutions,” Rev. Thwaites noted further.He told the House that the process of closing these schools involved extensive public consultations with stakeholders including parents, the Jamaica Teachers’ Association (JTA), churches, community leaders and political representatives. “The team from the Ministry of Education has been very responsive to concerns raised. However, in the final analysis, we have to make a decision in the interest of student achievement and the efficient use of financial resources,” he said. Meanwhile, the Education Minister assured parents that where the relocation of students has resulted in transportation needs, transport operators will be contracted to take children to and from school.He added that the estimated total cost for transportation is $106,000 daily, with an estimated annual cost of $20 million.Also, permanent staff at the schools to be closed will be facilitated for employment through the relevant authorities and unions.“Through the necessary consultations and agreement with affected parties, teachers will either be relocated under the voluntary relocation exercise, retired or to be asked to opt for early retirement,” Rev. Thwaites said.He noted that the students from the affected schools have been transferred to others, where they can “access richer and more diverse learning experience.”“We encourage parents and school personnel to assist the students as they grow through a period of change. We are confident this can be a positive move for the children in attaining their education,” the Education Minister said.The schools, which will be closed in September are: Bowden Hill Primary, Tower Hill Primary, Clifton Primary and Mount St. James All-Age in St. Andrew; Black Hill All-Age and Belvedere Primary School in Portland; Pear Tree River Primary in St. Thomas; Preston Hill Primary and Rose Bank Primary in St. Mary; Brittonvale Primary, Clydesdale Primary, Jefferyville Primary and Watsonville Primary in St. Ann; Alps Primary and Infant school in Trelawny; Hillsbrook Primary in Hanover; Auchtembeddie Primary and Junior High in Manchester; Hopeton Primary in St. Elizabeth; and Hartlands Primary in St. Catherine. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:closed, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, Minister of Education, primary schools Recommended for you Banks closed, storm updates CLOSED: Revenue and Treasury Offices overrun with mold Education Ministry To Spend $775 Million To Purchase Textbooks
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:earl whitter, Floyd Hall, justice paul harisson, michael misick, sipt trial BOYCE FIRES HER ATTORNEY, as SIPT Trial continues Karen Delancy, former Cabinet Minister in Michael Misick regime takes the witness stand in SIPT trials Delancy challenged on leadership style, calls Floyd Hall, ‘man of integrity’ Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 17 Dec 2015 – The lead attorney for former Deputy Premier and Finance Minister, Floyd Hall says he needs more time to review the evidence and made an application to delay the start to the SIPT trial. Earl Whitter told Justice Paul Harrison at the pre-trial proceedings for the SIPT yesterday that there was too much evidence and that he was too new to the case to be able to adequately represent his client without the extra time; he asked for the start date to be delayed by six months. Speaking for the Special Prosecution, Andrew Mitchell expressed shock in the courtroom asking ‘what on earth has gone on, what has Floyd Hall been doing for the last four years.’Whitter, QC reportedly explained to the Judge in the application that Hall stands to lose much in the case as all 17 counts and all the defendants are linked to him. While ex Premier Michael Misick has a limit set that he can be sentenced, if convicted, to no more than 20 years; there is no cap in the Turks and Caicos on sentencing for bribery, conspiracy to defraud TCIG and one can be jailed for 14 years for money laundering. There is not court today; it resumes Thursday with decisions expected from Justice Harrison on all of the applications put forth ahead of the trial start. Recommended for you
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppCoral Harbour Base (RBDF), October 14, 2016 – A total of 13 individuals were turned over to Police officials by members of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force Marines after a search uncovered suspected drugs on Friday afternoon.Marines attached to the Port Security Department along with Police Officers conducted a search of the scooter rental holding area of the Port Department at 1:30pm on Friday. Results of the search uncovered eight bags of suspected marijuana in the immediate area. As a result, 8 males and 5 females were taken into custody and handed over to the Police for further investigation.The Royal Bahamas Defence Force remains committed to protecting and guarding the heritage of the Bahamas.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, November 9, 2017 – Nassau – The Governor General, Her Excellency Dame Marguerite Pindling, pictured, paid respects during the Viewing of the late Parliamentarian Calvin Johnson at Butler’s Funeral Home & Crematorium on Wednesday.Members of Parliament also paid their respects — among them, pictured signing the Book of Condolence is Minister of Public Works the Hon. Desmond Bannister, and, viewing the body, Minister of Agriculture and Marine Resources the Hon. Renward Wells. A State-Recognized Funeral for Mr. Johnson is being held today at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral.(BIS Photos/Letisha Henderson) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Thomas Tuchel is pleased with how Marco Verratti and Leandro Paredes performed together for the first time in the Paris Saint-Germain midfield.The duo were both handed starts on Saturday night as PSG extended their lead at the top of Ligue 1 to 10 points by beating Nimes 3-0.But the sight of new signing Paredes, who turned down interest from Chelsea in favour of a €45m transfer to PSG from Russian side Zenit in January, performing so well alongside the returning Verratti gave Tuchel plenty to feel positive about.“Both of them played well,” said Tuchel, according to SportsMax.“They played together for the first time.“We can see Leo Paredes is very clever, he likes to make some decisive passes between lines.“Marco is Marco. He can always find a space which is not possible to be found. He finds the key, always. It’s his quality.“They both were doing great. It’s good for Leo as he needs to play more minutes.”Christopher Nkunku gave the French champions a first-half lead before Kylian Mbappe slotted home a brace bring his tally up to 22 goals in just 20 Ligue 1 appearances this season.Now PSG’s focus will be on Tuesday away to Dijon FCO in a Coupe de France quarter-final clash.Opinion: Neymar needs to apologize to PSG’s supporters Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After such a dramatic summer during the transfer window, Neymar truly needs to apologize to all the PSG supporters this weekend.When Neymar finished last…“We had a lot of chances to score throughout the game,” added Tuchel.“We could have won by more. Kylian could have scored five goals! Perhaps we lacked a little concentration, but I think we played really well and defended high up the pitch.“The second half was exceptional. It was a great win. The team got stronger and stronger as the game wore on. Now we want to beat Dijon in the Coupe de France.“We haven’t forgotten our elimination in the Coupe de la Ligue against Guingamp. We need to stay calm, stay professional and be ready for Tuesday. It’s a very important match for us.”The Parisians have now made it 10 wins out of 11 matches in all competitions.🔝2⃣2⃣ wins in #Ligue1 this season! 💪🔴🔵 #ICICESTPARIS pic.twitter.com/POZ0fSVE2F— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English) February 23, 2019
San Diego DA Summer Stephan fights to keep Jesus Cecena behind bars August 22, 2018 Posted: August 22, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Mike McKinnon III, Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Summer Stephan FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego District Attorney Summer Stephan will fight to keep Jesus Cecena behind bars.Cecena, a gang member from the Skyline neighborhood, shot and killed Officer Archie Buggs in 1978. Cecena has been granted parole three times in recent years.But each time, Governor Jerry Brown has reversed the decision.KUSI spoke with District Attorney Summer Stephan, she says she will be attending the hearing. KUSI Newsroom, Mike McKinnon III
Sandbags available at most County fire stations in San Diego ahead of rain Updated: 11:56 AM Posted: January 14, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom January 14, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Two major rainstorms are heading toward San Diego.To help make sure residents are prepared, The County Public Works Department is making sandbags available at most County fire stations.If you need sandbags, you’re advised to call ahead and check availability because some stations may have limited supply. You should also bring a shovel to fill the bags with sand. Public works officials remind you to look around your property and make sure drainage areas are clear of debris.A list of sandbag locations can be found here.