SC junks plea to disclose Duterte’s health records

first_imgDuterte has also undergone a biopsy in 2018 wherein he tested negative for cancer./PN “We note the latest decision of the Supreme Court dismissing the petition to disclose the President’s health records,” Roque said in a statement. “We maintain that the petition has no legal and factual bases.” President Rodrigo Duterte, who turned 75 in March this year, is the oldest to ever be elected Philippine President in history. PCOO MANILA – The Supreme Court has dismissed the petition seeking the public disclosure of President Rodrigo Duterte’s medical records.   De Leon filed a 42-page petition last month saying that “given the gravity of the illnesses openly acknowledged by the President, the public release of his medical bulletins becomes a ministerial duty upon request from any concerned citizen.” Those who voted for the petitions dismissal were Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta, Associate Justices Estela Perlas-Bernabe, Andres Reyes Jr., Alexander Gesmundo, Jose Reyes, Ramon Hernando, Rosmari Carandang, Amy Lazaro-Javier, Henri Jean Inting, Rodil Zalameda, Mario Lopez, Edgardo Santos and Samuel Gaerlan. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque welcomed the SC’s decision to dismiss the petition, which he said as only meant to tear down the public’s confidence in the President’s leadership. The two magistrates who dissented were Associate Justices Marvic Leonen and Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa. President Duterte has previously admitted that he has several medical conditions, such as daily migraines, nausea, pain due to a spinal injury, Buerger’s disease or a disorder affecting blood vessels, and Barrett’s esophagus or a complication which causes heartburn or acid indigestion. In a special en banc session on Friday, 13 High Court justices have voted against the petition that was filed by lawyer Dino de Leon while two other magistrates have dissented. “We believe it is designed to distract the President from his job and erode the confidence of the Filipinos to PRRD’s leadership particularly in this time when we are confronted with an extreme health crisis,” he added.last_img read more

Former cornerback Jack Jones arrested on two felony charges

first_imgFormer USC cornerback Jack Jones was arrested by Ventura County Police Friday on two felony charges — commercial burglary and conspiracy to commit a crime — after police say he attempted to break into a Santa Paulo Panda Express at 3 a.m. He was booked in the Ventura County Jail with a bail of $20,000. Jones is scheduled to appear in Ventura County Superior Court Tuesday afternoon.The arrest comes after Jones was declared academically ineligible for the 2018 season following spring camp. Jones sat out of camp to focus on his studies but failed to meet the mark. Last Tuesday, he confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that he would leave USC to take courses at a junior college in attempt to regain his eligibility for 2019. Jones was considered a defensive asset for the Trojans in the 2017 season. He touted 40 tackles and a team-best four interceptions in the 14 games he played. Jones was expected to remain the starting cornerback for the upcoming 2018 season prior to his dismissal.Jones was rated the No. 10 cornerback in the 2016 recruiting class by ESPN. Jones’ dismissal was a significant loss to the USC defense, which retained a solid group of starters from the 2017 season.last_img read more