Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Jan. 19 (JIS): The Ministry of Education is expressing confidence in attaining its goal of85 per cent of students in the grade four age cohort achieving mastery of literacy in 2015.An optimistic Portfolio Minister, the Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, notes that the country is now 7.6 per cent away from achieving this target.“The final measurement will be made at this year’s sitting of the Grade Four Literacy Test,” he said.The Minister was speaking at a meeting with senior journalists at the Alhambra Inn Hotel in St. Andrew recently.Rev. Thwaites pointed out that when the 15 per cent of students who suffer from learning disabilities are accounted for, 85 per cent translates to 100 per cent of the educable cohort.According to National Literacy Co-ordinator, Dr. André Hill, the Ministry will do everything it possibly can in the next few months to maximise as much as possible students’ outcomes in the 2015 Grade Four Literacy Test.He pointed to the deployment of 66 reading coaches across the island to provide direct support to 420 primary schools. Each will work with approximately seven schools. “They will be particularly working with the struggling readers in grade four, providing clinical attention to these students as well as pedagogical support for classroom teachers, in addition to extending further support to the parents in schools that have registered low achievement at grade four over the last three years,” he said.Dr. Hill contended that if the Ministry gets support from the community in addition to what the Ministry is now extending to the school system, “we are certain the outcomes, certainly for this year, will take us very close, if not actually to the 85 per cent.” Meanwhile, the Minister reiterated the importance of the role parents, home life and community have in helping to achieve the target. He noted for instance, that encouraging children to read in Sunday school greatly helps the literacy levels of students.He further urged parents, even if they are not literate themselves, to encourage their children to read.The Minister informed that at the 2014 sitting of the grade four literacy test,77.4 per cent of the age cohort achieved the acceptable standard of mastery in literacy, which represented a 30 per cent increase for the 10-year period – 2004 to 2014. He noted that the improvement in literacy has been the result of the combined efforts of the Ministry’s National Literacy Team and dedicated teachers. “In addition, the country is indebted to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for its support in improving literacy outcomes,” he said. In terms of the numeracy test, Rev. Thwaites informed that 58 per cent of students who sat the Grade Four Test last year attained mastery, a marginal decline of 1.4 per cent over the previous year.“But, there has been a 20 per cent improvement for the past five years, moving from a low of 38 per cent in 2010,” he said.The Minister said that using literacy as a benchmark, the Ministry is pleased with the progress the country has made so far.The Grade Four Literacy and numeracy tests are administered to children to determine their literacy and numeracy levels at grade four, in keeping with international requirements and standards. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Jamaica’s Senate Begins debate on National Identification and Registration Bill Related Items:jamaica, ministry of education, Ronald Thwaites Recommended for you Bahamas DPM Turnquest, as IDB Governor, Talks Technology and Climate Change Resilience at IDB Conclave Two boys die, bicycle and van collide in St. Catherine, Jamaica
45 Photos 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better 0 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Subaru Subaru: Stay up-to-date on everything Subaru.Subaru STI S209: Finally, Japanese forbidden fruit comes to the US. Subaru has discovered a defect in the power-steering systems of some of its Japanese-built vehicles, and has shut down the plants briefly as it investigates the root cause.On Wednesday Subaru announced that it had idled two plants in Japan’s Gunma prefecture on Jan. 16 when it discovered a defect that may disable a vehicle’s power steering and illuminate a warning lamp. According to the automaker’s press release, it hopes to have the plant up and running again on Jan. 28.The two plants comprise a majority of Subaru’s global manufacturing, including some models destined for the US. A Subaru spokesperson said approximately 10,000 examples of the Crosstrek and Forester might be affected, but the final number may be smaller.Enlarge ImageSubaru’s Japanese plants represent an overwhelming majority of its global sales, and the company isn’t sure how the shutdown will affect its bottom line in the short term. Yoshikazu Tsuno/AFP/Getty Images The spokesperson also stressed that no affected units have reached dealers or consumers, so there won’t be a need for a recall in the US. Any vehicles en route to retailers will receive a permanent fix before going on sale. This problem does not affect Subaru vehicles built in the US at its Indiana facility.In its press release, Subaru said it’s still working to determine the cause. A loss of power steering can make turning the wheel more difficult, especially at idle. Subaru Japan recommends that Japanese owners who experience this fault should stop driving and contact a dealer. In addition to affecting the Forester and Crosstrek (called the XV) in Japan, the problem also affects the Japanese-market Impreza.Subaru suffered a scandal in Japan in 2017 when it copped to decades of “flawed” vehicle inspections. Both Subaru and Nissan admitted to using unauthorized employees in quality-control jobs, in violation of Japanese regulations. Both automakers recalled vehicles for additional inspections following their admissions. More From Roadshow Roadshow’s long-term 2019 Subaru Ascent is a big, comfy family-hauler 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Post a comment Car Industry Crossovers Subaru Tags Share your voice
Namitha.PR HandoutNamitha was recently in the news when reports of the actress behaving rudely with the cops and election commission officials had surfaced on TV channels. Her husband Veerendra Chowdhary has now given a detailed account of the incident.According to Veerendra Chowdhary, they were on their way to Yercaud when their car was stopped by cops in three junctions and they co-operated with them. But the couple had tought times after an official from the election commission stopped their vehicle at Salem-Yercaud junction.He tells that Namitha raised objection when the official tried to check her bag, demanding that a woman cop should inspect her bag. Some media had claimed that she behaved rudely with the official and the cops and displayed tantrum.The complete explanation from Namitha’s hubby can be read below:Let me start by saying that I am utterly sorry! Sorry that you were misguided by all the news that have been in the circulation past few days. On my and my wife Namitha’s defense I’d like to say this. We were travelling to Yercud for shoot and were on road since past 8 hrs. My wife Namitha was sleeping in the back seat as it was 2.30 at night.Before this unfortunate incident we were stopped 3 times at different junctions, and we co-operated with everyone as they all were respectful to us. But when we reached the junction of Salem- Yercud , the gentleman from the Election Commission stopped the car and very rudely spoke to everyone in the car. He was showing his authority to everyone and behaving as if we were CRIMINALS!!He even opened the door of the back of the car despite of my pleas that sir My wife is tired and she’s slepping if you want I’ll wake her up , he still went and open the door and Namitha who was sleeping with her back resting on the door, almost fell out of the car !!! He said sorry but he still went on searching the car as if we were trafficking some illegal substances.Then he started checking everyone’s bags, and when he reached Namitha’s bags she refused to open her bag…. TO HIM! She said if you want to check my bag Kindly arrnage for a FEMALE COP. As its her bag and since it carries some intimate items, she would be comfortable to have a FEMALE COP who checks it. Thats all! That was the only matter!! Its Every Woman’s right to ask for a FEMALE COP if she’s uncomfortable.According to me, this whole matter has been blown out of proportion. If it was a noraml citizen nobody would’ve made a peep about it. But since its asked by a celebrity everyone is taking an advantage and making a mountain out of mole. That’s all. Instead of taking it wrongly , I hope the women of our country learn from this incident And raise their voices and ask for a FEMALE COP’S PRESENCE if she feels she’s uncomfortable. Thank you
WWE WebsiteArguably the greatest figure in the history of pro-wrestling, The Undertaker, is coming back to WWE’s flagship weekly program SmackDown. He would be part of a special episode that would take place at the iconic Madison Square Garden on September 10.This would be a special moment for the former World Heavyweight Champion as it would be his first appearance on an episode of SmackDown at the legendary arena. September 10 would also be special because both Raw and SmackDown will take place back-to-back at the same venue.The Undertaker had been out of action for a substantial amount of time at the beginning of the year and also was absent from Wrestlemania 35. In this time, he appeared out of character on some non-WWE shows. Eventually, WWE decided to re-sign the superstar and agreed on a highly-lucrative contract for the Deadman.Since then, the superstar has made numerous appearances on WWE and has also competed in two matches. His contest with Goldberg had turned out to be a complete disaster while a tag-team match, with Roman Reigns as his partner, against Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre fared better.WWE has also teased a storyline between the Phenom and Hall of Famer Sting. Only time will tell whether this appearance of Undertaker would lead to a new feud.
A view from Mexico of the US Customs and Border Protection is housing underage people caught illegally entering the United States at the Tornillo Port of Entry in Guadalupe Bravos, nearby Ciudad Juarez, state of Chihuahua, Mexico on 19 June 2018. Photo: AFPImmigrant children are being routinely and forcibly given a range of psychotropic drugs at US government-funded youth shelters to manage their trauma after being detained and in some cases separated from parents, according to a lawsuit.Children held at facilities such as the Shiloh Treatment Center in Texas are almost certain to be administered the drugs, irrespective of their condition, and without their parents’ consent, according to the lawsuit filed by the Los Angeles-based Center for Human Rights & Constitutional Law.The Shiloh centre, which specializes in services for children and youths with behavioral and emotional problems, did not respond immediately to a request for comment.The lawsuit was filed on April 16, days after the introduction of the Trump Administration’s “zero tolerance” policy to separate children from parents who crossed the US-Mexico border illegally. Trump abandoned the policy on Wednesday.“If you’re in Shiloh then it’s almost certain you are on these medications. So if any child were placed in Shiloh after being separated from a parent, then they’re almost certainly on psychotropics,” said Carlos Holguin, a lawyer representing the Center for Human Rights & Constitutional Law.Officials at the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), which oversees such centres, were not immediately available for comment.Taking multiple psychotropic drugs at the same time can seriously injure children, according to the filing, which highlights the need for oversight to prevent medications being used as “chemical straight jackets,” rather than treat actual mental health needs.ORR-run centres unilaterally administer the drugs to children in disregard of laws in Texas and other states that require either a parent’s consent or a court order, the filing said.The lawsuit seeks a shift in ORR policies to comply with state laws and prevent the prolonged detention of children.Some youths at Shiloh reported being given up to nine different pills in the morning and six in the evening and said they were told they would remain detained if they refused drugs, the lawsuit said.Some said they had been held down and given injections when they refused to take medication, the lawsuit said.One mother said neither she nor any other family member had been consulted about medication given to her daughter, even though Shiloh had their contact details. Another mother said her daughter received such powerful anti-anxiety medications she collapsed several times, according to the filing.
Carnatic music is considered as one of the main sub genres of Indian Classical Music. The main focus of Carnatic Music is on the vocal part where the music is composed in the way where they can be sung and when rendered through instruments, they are meant to be performed in the singing style. In order to enthral the Carnatic Music lovers, Carnatic Violin Concert by R Sridhar, disciple of Gurus V S K Chakrapani and presently Akhila Krishnan will be held today at the CD Deshmukh auditorium, India International Centre in the national Capital. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The artist will present a musical homage to past violin maestros – Lalgudi Jayaraman, T K JayaramaIyer and others. Accompanying artists are N Padmanabhan (mridangam); and J Vignesh (kanjira).Sridhar is an accomplished violinist from Delhi who from a very early age displayed immense potential. With able guidance from his gurus, V S K Chakrapani and presently from Akhila Krishnan, Sridhar has carved a niche for himself in the field of Carnatic music. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixAn engineer by profession who is passionate about Carnatic music, Sridhar is interested in collaborating with other systems of music to achieve a musical communion.In recognition of his contribution to Carantic music, Sridhar received the title of Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Asthana Vidwan by H H Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal in 2012; Natya Tarang Yuva Puraskar by Natraj Music and Dance Academy, Visakhapatnam 2013; the title of National Sangeet Mani conferred by the Utkal Yuva Sanskrutik Sangh, Orissa 2012; Yuva Ratna by Hindustan Arts and Music Society, Suta Nuti Parishad, Kolkata among others.Apart from performances, Sridhar is actively engaged in training and imparting his art to a younger generation of musicians many of whom have gone on to win prestigious scholarships. Sridhar has released two audio CDs titled ‘Rare Ragas and Rare Kirthis’ and ‘Bhakti’.