Related Items:David smith, free, grand turk prison, olint, ponzi scheme Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Missick & Co Defendants and David Smith all in Court this Week David Smith returns to court in January; heads back to HMP in Grand Turk Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 22 Jan 2015 – No comment for the media; David Smith who had been serving a six and a half year sentence on four counts of financial crimes namely: two counts of money laundering and two counts of conspiracy to defraud whisked his wife through the Provo International Airport terminal today bound for a private vehicle waiting to take them away from the spotlight. Smith has been incarcerated at the Her Majesty’s Prison in Grand Turk since 2010 and is due to complete a Federal sentence in the United States for similar crimes linked to a $220 million Ponzi scheme exposed in 2008; an Orlando court gave him 30 years. Smith was obviously thinner than when we last saw him; still with his signature beard and fresh off a flight out of the capital Grand Turk where he was released. Magnetic Media was told that he is finished his time for the Turks and Caicos; and what is next for the man who once headed Olint, a company founded in Jamaica is unclear. In 2013, the US Department of Justice advised individuals who had invested with Smith that they could make claims for compensation. The report in the Jamaica Observer explains that a part of Smith’s criminal sentence was to forfeit assets seized by federal authorities. In 2011, David Smith was convicted in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida on multiple counts of wire fraud and money laundering. Robert Di Pano, a NY, NJ and Florida attorney who writes frequently on financial crimes cases put the gravity of what David Smith, who is a TCI Belonger into perspective, saying and I quote: “Regardless of the outcome (in the Turks and Caicos), the severity of Smith’s US sentence looms large in the background.” David Smith back in court; continues to fight US Extradition
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, July 21 (JIS): Approximately 18 primary schools with small populations ranging from a low of 16 to a maximum of 68 students will be closed effective September 2015.Minister of Education, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, made the announcement during today’s (July 21) sitting of the House of Representatives.He explained that the closures are intended to achieve greater levels of efficiencies in the school system. The Ministry is projecting savings of $23 million in operational costs from the school closures.Minister Thwaites noted that the 18 schools are among the more than 200 public institutions offering primary level education, which are all underutilised, with an enrolment of 100 students or less. “In most cases, enrolment has declined steadily during the five-year period 2010-2014. In some communities, where the schools are located, the population has been declining, with a small number of youth and many older persons as residents,” Rev. Thwaites said.He added that this has negatively impacted the operational cost for these institutions, noting that while the average per capita expenditure at primary schools amounts to $88,000, in many of these small schools, it is costing up to twice as much to operate them.“Nearly all of the 18 schools targeted for imminent closure have performed below or at about the national average of 77.2 per cent in the 2014 Grade Four Literacy Test. This academic performance is despite the fact that the teacher pupil ratio is less than one to 20 in most of the schools; the ratio is as low as one to seven in several institutions,” Rev. Thwaites noted further.He told the House that the process of closing these schools involved extensive public consultations with stakeholders including parents, the Jamaica Teachers’ Association (JTA), churches, community leaders and political representatives. “The team from the Ministry of Education has been very responsive to concerns raised. However, in the final analysis, we have to make a decision in the interest of student achievement and the efficient use of financial resources,” he said. Meanwhile, the Education Minister assured parents that where the relocation of students has resulted in transportation needs, transport operators will be contracted to take children to and from school.He added that the estimated total cost for transportation is $106,000 daily, with an estimated annual cost of $20 million.Also, permanent staff at the schools to be closed will be facilitated for employment through the relevant authorities and unions.“Through the necessary consultations and agreement with affected parties, teachers will either be relocated under the voluntary relocation exercise, retired or to be asked to opt for early retirement,” Rev. Thwaites said.He noted that the students from the affected schools have been transferred to others, where they can “access richer and more diverse learning experience.”“We encourage parents and school personnel to assist the students as they grow through a period of change. We are confident this can be a positive move for the children in attaining their education,” the Education Minister said.The schools, which will be closed in September are: Bowden Hill Primary, Tower Hill Primary, Clifton Primary and Mount St. James All-Age in St. Andrew; Black Hill All-Age and Belvedere Primary School in Portland; Pear Tree River Primary in St. Thomas; Preston Hill Primary and Rose Bank Primary in St. Mary; Brittonvale Primary, Clydesdale Primary, Jefferyville Primary and Watsonville Primary in St. Ann; Alps Primary and Infant school in Trelawny; Hillsbrook Primary in Hanover; Auchtembeddie Primary and Junior High in Manchester; Hopeton Primary in St. Elizabeth; and Hartlands Primary in St. Catherine. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:closed, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, Minister of Education, primary schools Recommended for you Banks closed, storm updates CLOSED: Revenue and Treasury Offices overrun with mold Education Ministry To Spend $775 Million To Purchase Textbooks
Comments Google Samsung Alphabet Inc. Tags Phones Tech Industry Google will soon prompt Android users to choose their preferred browser. Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images Google will prompt Android users to choose their preferred web browser and search apps, a senior Google executive said Tuesday, as it tries to avoid new EU antitrust sanctions.The European Commission slapped Google with a record fine of 4.34 billion euros ($5 billion) in July over antitrust violations related to the Android mobile operating system. Google’s agreements with phone makers such as Huawei, Samsung and LG put those companies at a disadvantage because they’re completely dependent on Android, the EU said.Android users have always had the ability to install any browser they wanted, but now Google will highlight that they have other browser and search engine options.Google will do more to “ensure that Android phone owners know about the wide choice of browsers and search engines available to download to their phones,” Kent Walker, senior vice president of Google, wrote in a blog post. “This will involve asking users of existing and new Android devices in Europe which browser and search apps they would like to use.”In response to the $5 billion fine, Google said in October it would begin offering a paid license for phone and tablet manufacturers in Europe that want to include its Google Play app store, Maps, Gmail and Google-owned YouTube. Another license will let phone makers include Google’s search engine and Chrome browser.The EU’s investigation into Android dominance dates back to 2016. In June 2017, it fined Google $2.7 billion over abusing the way it prioritizes its own shopping results in search. Share your voice 4
Tags 0 In addition to a functional brake pedal and brake light, there’s also a freakin’ infotainment system, which has USB and SD card inputs for playing music or even watching a video. The car comes with popular kid’s songs built into the system, and the screen can also display pertinent information like the toy’s range (probably not much). There’s also a remote control so parents can give their children an “autonomous” experience, in case their driving skills aren’t yet trusted.While it’s definitely affordable by McLaren’s usual standards, it’s still on the expensive side for new parents, with a starting price of £315 (about $400). But then again, how many other ride-on toys come with engine sounds and an infotainment system? McLaren 720S: Too much supercar for the road? Car Culture Toys and Tabletop Games Enlarge ImageI wonder what the weight rating is. Asking for a friend, of course. McLaren In 2016, McLaren introduced its first all-electric car, a ride-on children’s toy modeled after its P1 hypercar. Now, there’s a second car in its lineup, and while the general idea is the same, there’s even more tricks hidden away in its latest offering.McLaren on Thursday unveiled the 720S Ride-On. Similar to the powered-wheel toys you see at the store that I will not name specifically out of trademark concerns, this new “car” aims to recreate the McLaren experience even more faithfully than the P1 Ride-On before it… within reason, of course.The 720S Ride-On can be purchased in one of eight different McLaren paint colors, including a launch edition with the automaker’s always-cool Papaya Spark hue. Like the 720S, it has dihedral doors that open and close, and the whole exterior looks pretty close to the real thing. The electric motor requires a key to start, and the toy pipes in proper engine noises to make it feel more like the real thing. 11 Photos 8:39 Now playing: Watch this: More about 2018 McLaren 720S Preview • 2018 McLaren 720S: Too much and just enough all at once 2020 McLaren 720S Spider review: Treat yo self Review • 2018 McLaren 720S: Raw power meets refined performance Share your voice McLaren Post a comment More From Roadshow 2019 Acura NSX review: Hitting its stride McLaren 720S Ride-On has its own infotainment system 2019 McLaren 600LT: Balanced and bonkers McLaren
Game of ThronesGame of Thrones Official YoutubeThe final season of Game of Thrones has not lived up to expectations, be it the story, character arcs or the technical details of the show, like the lighting in episode 3 or the coffee cup min episode 4. Fans are dissatisfied by season 8. And to make things worse, reportedly a minute-long preview for the last two episodes of Game Of Thrones’ eighth season was allegedly leaked on Monday, leaving fans livid over the show’s potential ending.According to The Sun, the footage is believed to show major spoilers for the battle of King’s Landing, as well as how the show will end in episode six. Viewers, who had seen the potential spoilers on Twitter, were furious at the prospect of what the leak could mean, with some even going as far as to say that it meant the show had ‘the worst ending in TV history.’ That seems like quite a claim but the way the final season has been progressing, we have to say that we are a little apprehensive about what the last two episodes hold for fans. Game of Thrones season 8 episode 4Game of Thrones (@gameofthrones/Instagram)Spoilers for Episode 4 ahead.The last episode was disappointing as well, with character development and story arcs abandoned at the drop of a hat. Jaime Lannister abandons Brienne of Tarth after making love to her, Brienne of Tarth, a strong, independent warrior Knight is reduced to a sniveling stereotype of a lovestruck woman. And a Dragon is shot down from in the air in an apparent impossible shot. Why? So that the final battle is an even match between Daenerys Targaryen and Cersei Lannister.The fifth episode of the final season of Game of Thrones will air on May 12.
Acting president of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa arrives at the parliament, in Cape Town, South Africa, 15 February, 2018. Photo: ReutersSouth African lawmakers on Thursday selected Cyril Ramaphosa as the country’s new president after scandal-tainted Jacob Zuma resigned under pressure from his own ANC ruling party.Ramaphosa was chosen without a vote after being the only candidate nominated, chief justice Mogoeng Mogoeng told assembled lawmakers at a special sitting of the parliament in Cape Town.The announcement brought loud cheers from ANC lawmakers, with Ramaphosa due to address the parliament later during proceedings.Zuma resigned on Wednesday as the ANC finally turned against him after a nine-year reign dominated by corruption scandals, economic slowdown and plummeting electoral popularity.Zuma railed against the ANC for “recalling” him from office and — when he at first refused to resign — then threatening to oust him via a parliament no-confidence vote.In an earlier TV interview on Wednesday, Zuma said he had received “very unfair” treatment from the party that he joined in 1959 and in which he had fought for decades against apartheid white-minority rule.Zuma had been in a power struggle with Ramaphosa, his deputy president.Zuma’s hold over the ANC was broken in December when his chosen successor — his former wife Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma — narrowly lost to Ramaphosa in a vote to become the new party leader.