David Smith freed from GT Prison next faces US Feds

first_img Related Items:David smith, free, grand turk prison, olint, ponzi scheme Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Missick & Co Defendants and David Smith all in Court this Week David Smith returns to court in January; heads back to HMP in Grand Turk Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 22 Jan 2015 – No comment for the media; David Smith who had been serving a six and a half year sentence on four counts of financial crimes namely: two counts of money laundering and two counts of conspiracy to defraud whisked his wife through the Provo International Airport terminal today bound for a private vehicle waiting to take them away from the spotlight. Smith has been incarcerated at the Her Majesty’s Prison in Grand Turk since 2010 and is due to complete a Federal sentence in the United States for similar crimes linked to a $220 million Ponzi scheme exposed in 2008; an Orlando court gave him 30 years. Smith was obviously thinner than when we last saw him; still with his signature beard and fresh off a flight out of the capital Grand Turk where he was released. Magnetic Media was told that he is finished his time for the Turks and Caicos; and what is next for the man who once headed Olint, a company founded in Jamaica is unclear. In 2013, the US Department of Justice advised individuals who had invested with Smith that they could make claims for compensation. The report in the Jamaica Observer explains that a part of Smith’s criminal sentence was to forfeit assets seized by federal authorities. In 2011, David Smith was convicted in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida on multiple counts of wire fraud and money laundering. Robert Di Pano, a NY, NJ and Florida attorney who writes frequently on financial crimes cases put the gravity of what David Smith, who is a TCI Belonger into perspective, saying and I quote: “Regardless of the outcome (in the Turks and Caicos), the severity of Smith’s US sentence looms large in the background.” David Smith back in court; continues to fight US Extraditionlast_img read more

18 Underpopulated Primary Schools To Be Closed

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, July 21 (JIS): Approximately 18 primary schools with small populations ranging from a low of 16 to a maximum of 68 students will be closed effective September 2015.Minister of Education, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, made the announcement during today’s (July 21) sitting of the House of Representatives.He explained that the closures are intended to achieve greater levels of efficiencies in the school system. The Ministry is projecting savings of $23 million in operational costs from the school closures.Minister Thwaites noted that the 18 schools are among the more than 200 public institutions offering primary level education, which are all underutilised, with an enrolment of 100 students or less. “In most cases, enrolment has declined steadily during the five-year period 2010-2014. In some communities, where the schools are located, the population has been declining, with a small number of youth and many older persons as residents,” Rev. Thwaites said.He added that this has negatively impacted the operational cost for these institutions, noting that while the average per capita expenditure at primary schools amounts to $88,000, in many of these small schools, it is costing up to twice as much to operate them.“Nearly all of the 18 schools targeted for imminent closure have performed below or at about the national average of 77.2 per cent in the 2014 Grade Four Literacy Test. This academic performance is despite the fact that the teacher pupil ratio is less than one to 20 in most of the schools; the ratio is as low as one to seven in several institutions,” Rev. Thwaites noted further.He told the House that the process of closing these schools involved extensive public consultations with stakeholders including parents, the Jamaica Teachers’ Association (JTA), churches, community leaders and political representatives. “The team from the Ministry of Education has been very responsive to concerns raised. However, in the final analysis, we have to make a decision in the interest of student achievement and the efficient use of financial resources,” he said. Meanwhile, the Education Minister assured parents that where the relocation of students has resulted in transportation needs, transport operators will be contracted to take children to and from school.He added that the estimated total cost for transportation is $106,000 daily, with an estimated annual cost of $20 million.Also, permanent staff at the schools to be closed will be facilitated for employment through the relevant authorities and unions.“Through the necessary consultations and agreement with affected parties, teachers will either be relocated under the voluntary relocation exercise, retired or to be asked to opt for early retirement,” Rev. Thwaites said.He noted that the students from the affected schools have been transferred to others, where they can “access richer and more diverse learning experience.”“We encourage parents and school personnel to assist the students as they grow through a period of change. We are confident this can be a positive move for the children in attaining their education,” the Education Minister said.The schools, which will be closed in September are: Bowden Hill Primary, Tower Hill Primary, Clifton Primary and Mount St. James All-Age in St. Andrew; Black Hill All-Age and Belvedere Primary School in Portland; Pear Tree River Primary in St. Thomas; Preston Hill Primary and Rose Bank Primary in St. Mary; Brittonvale Primary, Clydesdale Primary, Jefferyville Primary and Watsonville Primary in St. Ann; Alps Primary and Infant school in Trelawny; Hillsbrook Primary in Hanover; Auchtembeddie Primary and Junior High in Manchester; Hopeton Primary in St. Elizabeth; and Hartlands Primary in St. Catherine. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:closed, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, Minister of Education, primary schools Recommended for you Banks closed, storm updates CLOSED: Revenue and Treasury Offices overrun with mold Education Ministry To Spend $775 Million To Purchase Textbookslast_img read more

Wilmington Public Schools Receives 750000 Grant To Improve The Health Of Its Students

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Public Schools recently received a substantial grant from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to expand its health services in an effort to improve student attendance and boost academic achievement.Wilmington was awarded a four-year Comprehensive School Health Services Grant at $75,000 annually. The grant comes with three, 2-year options to renew, meaning Wilmington excepts to receive $750,000 in funding.The grant process was competitive. Wilmington’s grant amount was based on student enrollment, community need, and the level of programming that schools committed to in their grant applications. Wilmington was one of 123 public school districts in the state to receive the grant.The grant writing committee recently appeared in front of the Wilmington School Committee to share the good news. The Committee consisted of Director of Nursing Services Doreen Crowe; Assistant Superintendent Brian Reagan; Coordinator of Behavioral Health & Social Emotional Support Christine Murray; Health & Physical Education Liaison Laura Stinson; Athletic Director Tim Alberts; ESL Director Susan MacDonald; and Middle School Nurse Janice Bacon.Crowe explained how the funding will positively impact health services to students in Wilmington.A part-time social worker (.4 FTE) will be hired at the high school to support its new Bridge Program, which assists students who have been absent from school for an extended period of time due to a health issue to successfully return to the classroom.A part-time care coordinator (.4 FTE) will be hired to help coordinating care to students with mental and physical health needs.In addition to program support and professional development, the district will use funds to improve and expand its health curriculum.As a result of the grant, Athletic Director Tim Alberts noted that health education will now be offered at the PreK and Kindergarten levels, and new nutrition education materials will be purchased at the elementary level.The district hopes these measures – and several others outlined – will help decrease chronic absenteeism and childhood obesity amongst its students, while increasing individualized health care plans and services to its students with mental and behavioral health conditions.“All the evidence points to the fact that children can’t learn if they are not healthy,” said Massachusetts Health and Human Services Secretary Marylou Sudders in a recent press release announcing the grant recipients. “This funding will support our efforts to keep students healthy, in school, and prepared to learn.”Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSCHOOL COMMITTEE To Discuss New School Year, New Administrators & New Goals At August 28 MeetingIn “Education”Wilmington Public Schools Receives $13,000 Grant To Combat Vaping At High School & Middle SchoolIn “Community”SCHOOL COMMITTEE NEWS: Homework, Bullying, Vaping, Grants, Gymnastics & More To Be Discussed At June 12 MeetingIn “Education”last_img read more

Message of harmony the spirit of Martyrs Day rally

first_imgKolkata: “Ekotai Sampriti” became an integral part of the Martyrs’ Day rally on Saturday with people from across the state coming in with placards and posters spreading the message of communal peace and harmony.This comes when TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee had been repeatedly saying that Bengal has the rich heritage of communal harmony. With her repeated pleas, she has urged the masses not to indulge in any sort of instigation and not to pay any attention to rumours. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe move of the Trinamool Congress workers and supporters in spreading the message of peace and harmony during the Martyrs’ Day rally earned significance when there had been repeated attempts by communal forces to disturb the same in the state.People had started turning up to the city from Tuesday onwards to attend the mass rally and to listen to the party supremo, who played a key role in keeping up the tradition of the communal harmony in Bengal. Besides making people aware, the Chief Minister also requested them to inform the police as soon as they realise that there is some issue and there are deliberate attempts to cause trouble. She also directed the police to maintain a strict vigil. The police also carried out awareness campaigns through social networking sites as well in this connection. The theme of the tableau of the Mamata Banerjee government at the Republic Day parade also highlighted the same sentiment of Ekotai Sampriti. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedSarafat Hussain, a party worker from Hasnabad, North 24-Parganas, was found carrying a placard carrying the message of communal harmony. It read: “Hate communal separatists.”Sarafat said: “Bengal is a land of peace and harmony with a rich heritage of culture and tradition and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is fighting so that common people never get deprived of their rights.”He further said: “When the Chief Minister is fighting for the benefit of the common man along with the overall development of the state, I found spreading messages of communal harmony and other social issues as the best way to pay respect to the 13 martyrs who sacrificed their lives on this day 25 years ago.”Besides spreading such a message, he also urged people to strengthen the hands of the TMC supremo so that she can ensure that Bengal is not deprived of its rights.Like Sarafat, there were several party workers at the rally who believed in the same concept of peace and harmony.last_img read more

Death of spouse ups irregular heartbeat risk

first_imgThe death of a spouse is linked to increased risk of developing an irregular heartbeat up to a year after the bereavement, says a study adding that the risk is prevalent among those below 60.The condition known as atrial fibrillation — itself a risk factor for stroke and heart failure — can also flare up in cases when the loss was least expected.According to Danish researchers, acute stress may directly disrupt normal heart rhythms and prompt the production of chemicals involved in inflammation. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’“The elevated risk was especially high for those who were young and those who lost a relatively healthy partner,” said Simon Graff of Aarhus University in Denmark. The team collected information on 88,612 people newly diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and 886,120 healthy people.They looked at several factors that might influence atrial fibrillation risk which included time since the bereavement, age and sex, heart disease and diabetes, the health of the partner a month before death, and whether they were single. The results, published in the online journal Open Heart, indicated that the risk of developing an irregular heartbeat was 41 per cent higher among those who had been bereaved than it was among those who had not experienced such a loss. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixThe risk seemed to be greater during eight to 14 days following a death, after which it gradually subsided until after a year the risk was similar to that of someone who had not been bereaved.The highest risk was seen among people under the age of 60: they were more than twice as likely to develop atrial fibrillation if they had been bereaved and the risk also seemed to be greater where the partner’s death had been unexpected.Those whose partners were relatively healthy in the month before death, were 57 per cent more likely to develop atrial fibrillation.last_img read more

Virgin Media is reportedly considering a bid for H

first_imgVirgin Media is reportedly considering a bid for Hull and East Riding-based UK broadband provider, KCOM.According to a Telegraph report, which cites multiple unnamed sources, Virgin is exploring whether to acquire KCOM’s 200,000 fibre broadband lines to accelerate its network expansion.The report claims that Liberty Global-owned Virgin is at an early stage with its deliberations and that a decision on the matter is yet to be made.last_img