Ashley to fight for WBC title on September

first_imgAlicia ‘Slick’ Ashley will get the opportunity to regain her World Boxing Council (WBC) Super bantamweight title on September 15, when she meets Christina ‘Lightning’ McMahon from Ireland in Astoria, Queens, New York.She lost the title on September 6 last year to Mexican Jackie Nava, by way of a controversial points decision. Since then, Nava also won the World Boxing Association title, and has been named a Super champion. She has, therefore, vacated the WBC title, and Ashley and McMahon will now seek to succeed her.Ashley told The Gleaner yesterday that she was very happy to get the opportunity to regain the title that she held for more than three years, and was going into the fight against McMahon very confident.”The Irish are tough people and I expect a good fight, but my goal is to take back my title” she said.Both boxers are in their forties. Ashley, who is a fast-moving and clever boxer, is 47, but most people are shocked when she reveals this, as she looks much younger. She has a 22-10-1 record with four knockouts and her last fight was in Haiti last November, when she stopped Grecia Nova in seven rounds. She is much more experienced that McMahon and this will give her a decided edge.McMahon is 41, and has a 7-0 record. She has fast hands, moves a lot and has stopped three of her opponents. Her last fight was on May 2 this year against Catherine Phiri, for the WBC interim bantamweight title, in Lusaka, Zambia, and she won by majority decision.last_img read more

Five Family Members Survive Ordeal

first_imgThe five family members, including three children,  who last Thursday suffered what a doctor described as ‘suffocation due to heat’ in their Zeon Town, ELWA community home, have thankfully survived their ordeal.They are Sabastine Saye, his wife, Joyce Bartuah and their three children, Erica,  5, Eric, 5, and Patience Saye, 15.Doctor Rufus Tall, head of the Sunrise Clinic in the ELWA Community, where the victims received treatment, told the Daily Observer via mobile phone that the family suffered a major suffocation due to heat in the room.The heat was produced from an unattended coal pot in their room while they were asleep, said the doctor, who further explained  that charcoal has some dangerous chemicals that could cause unconsciousness, if not handled properly.When the Daily Observer visited the victims early Monday morning, the wife (Joyce) said that the tragedy started on her twin children, Erica and Eric.According to her, she went outside to prepare her cassava gravy soup, which is part of her daily routine to sustain the family. She said she was on her way back to the room, when one of the twins started to shout, “Mama see, Mama see,” but when she looked around she couldn’t find anything, but the child kept yelling at her to see.Joyce said it was then that she began to call for help and then she lapsed into unconsciousness, and then her husband and her big daughter followed.Joyce said her family is grateful to their neighbors who helped to take them to the clinic. She said they are presently staying with a relative in the same community.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more