PARIS (AP):Celebrating the best season of his career, Andy Murray cemented his rise to No. 1 by beating John Isner 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-4 yesterday to win the Paris Masters for the first time.It was his eighth title this year, his 14th in Masters overall. It also ended Isner’s bid for a first Masters title.”I felt really nervous before the match,” Murray said, despite having beaten the big-serving American in all seven of their previous career meetings.Murray will officially replace Novak Djokovic¥ at the top of the rankings when they are published today.”It might only be for one week, so, I might as well try and enjoy it,” Murray said, “because I could lose it at the (ATP) Tour Finals and never be there again.”The 29-year-old Murray is still getting accustomed to his new-found status.”I don’t really know if it’s sunk in or not,” said Murray, who is a three-time Grand Slam winner and a double Olympic champion. “It feels different (to) when I had won a Grand Slam or (the) Olympics,” especially in the number of congratulatory messages.”More than I’ve had after any match I have played in my life,” Murray said. “It’s very nice because you have won the respect of the players.”Murray recently beat Isner 6-1, 6-3 in the quarter-finals of the Erste Bank Open in Vienna, but this was thoroughly contested.”We played last week and the difference was huge,” Murray said.Using 18 aces and hitting plenty of inside-out winners on his massive forehand, Isner generated considerable pressure, but he also wasted six break points overall.RARE DIPIn the second set, he was 4-3 ahead and 40-0 up on Murray’s serve but failed to punish the Briton – last year’s runner-up to Djokovic¥.But in a rare dip, Murray double-faulted during the tiebreaker and Isner profited to take the set.Isner saved break points on his first two service games of the third set, hanging on as Murray restored his superiority.Then, serving to stay in the match, the American double-faulted to trail 0-30. He won a tough first point and then hit yet another ace to make it 30-30.Isner sank a difficult volley into the net, giving Murray a first-match point. With Isner on second serve, Murray dominated a brief rally, pinging a pass down the line that Isner patted into the net with the ball close to his body.It was a hard-fought victory and Isner stood with his head down at the net, waiting to congratulate Murray.Murray has won four consecutive tournaments, taking his career tally to 43.
… spends less than half on healthcare delivery for entire regionThe controversial contract between the Public Health Ministry and Alliance For Change financier, Larry Singh’s Linden Holding Inc, on Friday for the second day running, attracted the attention of the National Assembly and the nation heard that Government is in fact spending more on that contract in one year than it spends for the entire budget for healthcare services in Region Four (Demerara-Mahaica).Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo dropped the bombshell announcement – an announcement that was not formally challenged by Government speakers – that while Government has inked a contract to pay Linden Holdings Inc, the 2017 Budget has in its allocations $88 million for healthcare delivery services for Region Four.According to Jagdeo, Government has in fact opted to spend twice as much toOpposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo as he addressed the National Assemblystore condoms in the Sussex Street, Georgetown facility owned by Singh.He told the House that a perusal of the estimates revealed too that the entire Budget for education delivery in Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) is set at a meagre $97 million as against the $170 million Government has earmarked to pay Singh for the storage of materials at the substandard Sussex Street property.Jagdeo recalled that Government had defended the decision to secure the bond by handpicking Singh through the sole sourcing method by pointing to the emergency demands at the time, saying it was urgently needed.According to Jagdeo, in one year, Government is paying close to $170 million for effectively a bottom house, saying, “remember they say we could not wait, had to get it done immediately because the drugs spoiling, the condoms spoiling.”“We are spending $170 million to this individual,” Jagdeo said as he juxtaposed that with the healthcare delivery service Capital Budget for Region Four being only $88.8 million.“You are spending twice as much on a bond to store condoms than that of entire health services budget for Region Four,” he reiterated.The Opposition Leader noted too that, “We are spending almost as much on this bond as the entire Capital Budget for Region Eight [Potaro-Siparuni],” which hePublic Health Minister, Dr George Norton along with other parliamentarians inspecting contents at the Sussex Street Bondoutlined is budgeted at $206 million. “Is that not shameful.”Jagdeo said the same scenario also obtains in the allocations of monies across other regions such as Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) where the entire capital projects are budgeted at $228 million.“The fiscal space was all eaten up on greed and falsehood and lack of transparency in procurement,” according to Jagdeo, as he responded to Government’s claims that finances are scare.
Pellegrini not fazed by ‘leaked’ team news rumours 2 2 The social media account has 50,600 followers, who are often told the starting line-up well in advance of it being officially published on the club’s channels. And the man behind the account came on talkSPORT and told Jim White he finds the accusations ‘ludicrous’.In the report, Pellegrini was said to be ‘increasingly frustrated’ at the continual leaks. But, in actual fact, the Chilean could not care less.Asked if he is angry about the repeated leaks, Pellegrini replied: “No. First of all the news is not true, because I’m not angry about that.“Normally in every team that I have managed, the day before the game, I work with set-pieces, so all the players know the day before who will play and who will not play. huge blow West Ham United boss Manuel Pellegrini insists he is not angry about the apparent ‘leaks’ which have been widely reported on Friday.Twitter account @ExWHUemployee was named in a report by The Times after successfully ‘predicting’ team line-ups before they were officially announced by the club. Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury “So, many players can talk with other players. I’m not keeping the starting XI until three or four hours before the game.“There are a lot of ways or reasons why some people can know the team before it is released.”Pellegrini believes West Ham‘s opponents can gain little or no advantage from knowing his starting XI early, especially in the Premier League.Asked if he knows the source of the leaks, Pellegrini said: “I don’t have any idea, I’m not worried about that.“I’m worried about trying to win the points.” Four defeats from their opening four games sees the Hammers rooted to the foot of the table Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures silverware Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won REVEALED Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? REVEALED Latest Premier lEAGUE NEWS possible standings Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade no dice smart causal England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won shining And when quizzed on whether opponents stand to gain from the early information, Pellegrini continued: “I don’t think that is the most important thing.“Maybe if you’re going to play against Chelsea, Watford, against Liverpool, you are sure that it will be the starting XI from the last game and they’ll play exactly the same way.“So I don’t hide too much about the starting XI.”