Former TCI Deputy Premier asks for six months delay to corruption trial

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:earl whitter, Floyd Hall, justice paul harisson, michael misick, sipt trial BOYCE FIRES HER ATTORNEY, as SIPT Trial continues Karen Delancy, former Cabinet Minister in Michael Misick regime takes the witness stand in SIPT trials Delancy challenged on leadership style, calls Floyd Hall, ‘man of integrity’ Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 17 Dec 2015 – The lead attorney for former Deputy Premier and Finance Minister, Floyd Hall says he needs more time to review the evidence and made an application to delay the start to the SIPT trial. Earl Whitter told Justice Paul Harrison at the pre-trial proceedings for the SIPT yesterday that there was too much evidence and that he was too new to the case to be able to adequately represent his client without the extra time; he asked for the start date to be delayed by six months. Speaking for the Special Prosecution, Andrew Mitchell expressed shock in the courtroom asking ‘what on earth has gone on, what has Floyd Hall been doing for the last four years.’Whitter, QC reportedly explained to the Judge in the application that Hall stands to lose much in the case as all 17 counts and all the defendants are linked to him. While ex Premier Michael Misick has a limit set that he can be sentenced, if convicted, to no more than 20 years; there is no cap in the Turks and Caicos on sentencing for bribery, conspiracy to defraud TCIG and one can be jailed for 14 years for money laundering. There is not court today; it resumes Thursday with decisions expected from Justice Harrison on all of the applications put forth ahead of the trial start. Recommended for youlast_img read more

POLICE LOG for January 19 Driver Going 75 MPH On Shawsheen Shoplifting

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Here are highlights from the Wilmington Police Log for Saturday, January 19, 2019:A 2-vehicle crash took place on Lowell Street, near the 93 North on-ramp. One of the vehicle’s occupants was injured and transported to Lahey Clinic. (9:25am)Billerica Police reported a black Tesla traveling down 129 into Wilmington going approximately 75 MPH, just passing Shawsheen School. Police located the vehicle and spoke with the driver, making him aware of the complaint and reminding him of his driver expectations. (2:28pm)Target’s Security Manager reported a female party was recorded on camera shoplifting last night. (4:40pm)A caller reported four pick-up trucks doing donuts in the Market Basket parking lot. Trucks were gone by the time police arrived. (11:03pm)(DISCLAIMER: This information is public information.  An arrest does not constitute a conviction.  Any arrested person is innocent until proven guilty.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedPOLICE LOG for August 12: 2 Drivers Issued Summonses; Drone FoundIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for August 18: 2 Vehicles With Same License Plate; Statue Missing From Wildwood CemeteryIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for August 24: Motorcycle Crash; Package Stolen; Speeding on Shawsheen Ave.In “Police Log”last_img read more

Tesla sued for wrongful death after fatal crash involving Autopilot

first_imgEnlarge ImageThis is the second lawsuit Tesla has faced this year following a fatal collision with Autopilot active. Nick Miotke/Roadshow Earlier this year, the family of a Tesla Model X owner who was killed in a collision when the car’s Autopilot was engaged filed a lawsuit against the automaker in California state court. Now, the Fremont-based automaker has a second, similar suit to contend with.The family of Jeremy Banner is filing a wrongful death lawsuit against Tesla, asking for damages in excess of $15,000, The Verge reports. According to NBC affiliate WPTV, the lawsuit was announced on Thursday, and it should be filed shortly in Palm Beach County, Florida. A Tesla spokesperson declined to comment.The collision occurred on March 1. Banner’s 2018 Tesla Model 3 was traveling southbound on State Highway 441 in Delray Beach when it struck an eastbound tractor-trailer. The crash ripped the roof off the Model 3, killing Banner. According to the NTSB’s preliminary report, Banner engaged Autopilot approximately 10 seconds prior to the collision, and the system did not detect the driver’s hands on the wheel “from less than 8 seconds before the crash,” the report states. The report says the vehicle was traveling about 68 mph before the collision, 13 mph over the posted limit. The NTSB notes that both data and videos show that neither the car nor the driver initiated any sort of evasive maneuver prior to the crash. The investigation is still ongoing.The crash has parallels with another, similar collision that also claimed the life of a Tesla driver. In May 2016, Joshua Brown’s Model S collided with the side of a tractor-trailer, killing him. The resulting preliminary report from the NTSB did not find Tesla at fault, and it also refuted claims that Brown had been watching a movie just before the crash. Tesla’s Model X gets artsy Tags Car Industry Electric Cars Comments 30 Photos Share your voice 17 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value More From Roadshow 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous 50 Photos According to the NTSB’s preliminary report, Banner engaged Autopilot approximately 10 seconds prior to the collision, and the system did not detect the driver’s hands on the wheel “from less than 8 seconds before the crash,” the report states. The report says the vehicle was traveling about 68 mph before the collision, 13 mph over the posted limit. The NTSB notes that both data and videos show that neither the car nor the driver initiated any sort of evasive maneuver prior to the crash. The investigation is still ongoing.The crash has parallels with another, similar collision that also claimed the life of a Tesla driver. In May 2016, Joshua Brown’s Model S collided with the side of a tractor-trailer, killing him. The resulting preliminary report from the NTSB did not find Tesla at fault, and it also refuted claims that Brown had been watching a movie just before the crash.Banner’s family is the second family to file a lawsuit against the automaker. Earlier this year, the family of Walter Huang sought damages from the automaker due to perceived negligence on Tesla’s part. Huang’s Model X collided with a highway barrier while Autopilot was active in Mountain View, California. Following the crash, Tesla issued a statement casting blame on Huang while simultaneously touting the benefits of its system, although the NTSB’s preliminary report pointed to several contributing factors. Tesla Tragedy Tesla Model 3 barrels through the snow in Track Mode Teslalast_img read more

Cabinet okays hajj package

first_img.The cabinet division on Monday approved the draft hajj package, 2019, fixing the minimum cost for a pilgrim at Tk 344,000, up by Tk 24,645 from the previous year under package-2 of the government management, reports UNB.Pilgrims have to pay Tk 418,500 to avail package-1 under the government management, he said.Cabinet secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam disclosed this at a press briefing at the secretariat after a cabinet meeting held at PM’s office with prime minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair.The minimum cost for a pilgrim who will perform hajj under private arrangement has been fixed at Tk 344,000.A total of 127,198 pilgrims will be able to perform hajj this year. Of them, 120,000 pilgrims will go to Saudi Arabia under private management while 7,198 under government management, said Shafiul.The plane fare has been fixed at Tk 128,000 which was Tk 138,191 last year, he said.last_img read more