Major administrative disruption is expected tomorrow (Friday) as school secretaries begin a campaign of industrial action over pay and conditions.The staff represented by Fórsa say they have been victims of an “antiquated and discriminatory” two-tier pay system since 1978.The union says that some secretaries employed by school management boards can earn as little as €12,500 a year, and only have non-permanent contracts, leaving them obliged to sign-on over the summer when schools are closed. A meeting on Wednesday morning with the Department of Education ended without agreement.Fórsa said that school secretaries would engage in a brief one-hour work stoppage at the start of the school day on Friday.“Secretaries will protest outside their school, or may join with colleagues at another school protest for the duration of the stoppage.”“Protests will take place at 250 schools across the country, while up to a thousand schools are expected to be affected by the stoppage.” “Thereafter they will commence a significant work to rule.”The Department of Education described the planned industrial action as “premature and unwarranted”.It urged Fórsa to reconsider the stoppage and work-to-rule, adding that it remains fully open to having further dialogue once the accurate cost of the claim had been calculated.A spokesperson for the Department of Education said officials had met Fórsa representatives in late May, when the union had formally tabled a claim seeking public service pay scales, year-round working patterns and access to a public service pension scheme for secretaries and caretakers employed directly by schools, and whose salaries are funded from grants.He said these demands were tabled as a follow-on claim a 2016-2019 pay agreement, which provided for a 10% pay increase over that period, and a higher minimum hourly rate of €13. He noted that that deal does not expire until December.School secretaries strike to go ahead on Friday over pay and conditions was last modified: September 19th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Diego Costa put Chelsea ahead in the FA Cup third-round tie at Stamford Bridge.Costa got in front of Scunthorpe defender Scott Laird to nudge home Branislav Ivanovic’s right-wing cross after 13 minutes – the striker’s fourth goal in three matches.Chelsea continued to dominate and Iron keeper Luke Daniels did well to tip over shots from Cesc Fabregas and Pedro before seeing a curling effort from Oscar drift wide of his left-hand post.Blues boss Guus Hiddink named a strong line-up but rested keeper Thibaut Courtois and skipper John Terry.Asmir Begovic came in for Courtois and was called into action just after the half-hour mark, when he gathered Luke Williams’ long-range shot.Chelsea: Begovic; Ivanovic, Zouma, Cahill, Azpilicueta; Ramires, Fabregas; Willian, Oscar, Pedro; Costa.Subs: Courtois, Terry, Baba Rahman, Mikel, Loftus-Cheek, Kenedy, Traore.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Round-up: Terry out, Baba told what he must improve, Faurlin injury, Hasselbaink ‘can’t wait’ for Robinson
John Terry has been ruled out of Chelsea’s FA Cup game against Manchester City.The skipper is still struggling with a hamstring problem and Chelsea are hoping he will be available for next weekend’s league game at Southampton.Meanwhile, Blues boss Guus Hiddink says Baba Rahman must improve defensively if he is to become a top Premier League full-back.Hiddink has also warned that City’s youngsters will pose a threat if, as expected, the visitors rest their established players for Sunday’s match at Stamford Bridge.Summer signing Baba has impressed in his recent outings for ChelseaQPR striker Conor Washington has been passed fit for the trip to Bolton but Alejandro Faurlin remains sidelined with a thigh problem.Jack Robinson is close to his R’s debut after nearly a year out with a knee injury and boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink says he “can’t wait” to pick the left-back.Click here for what we think could be five key battles in the game at Bolton and, following Neil Warnock’s signing of Paddy Kenny for Rotherham, click here for our look at other examples of former QPR managers taking players to various clubs.Robinson was injured while on loan at Huddersfield last seasonIn terms of transfer speculation, Chelsea have been linked with German forward Leroy Sane along with a number of other English sides.It has also been claimed that Fulham’s Emerson Hyndman is wanted by several top clubs, including Manchester United, Tottenham and West Ham.And in snooker, Pinner’s Martin Gould suffered a 4-1 defeat against Ben Woollaston in the fourth round of the Welsh Open.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#Analysis#start Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting audrey watters A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… As the school year draws to a close, college graduates will making a move to the next stage of their lives. Will college have encouraged or discouraged them from making that next stage involve entrepreneurship? Venture capitalist Roger Ehrenberg penned an impassioned call-to-arms on Monday, challenging the venture capital and startup industries to do a better job recruiting young entrepreneurs from college. He urges the “seeding of a startup culture.”Inspired in part by James Kwak’s post “Why Do Harvard Kids Head to Wall Street?” Ehrenberg calls for better efforts to “lure the best and brightest into game-changing areas such as start-ups and social enterprises.”Ehrenberg says that it may be that too much emphasis is placed on the risks and the fears associated with startups – “bad marketing, plain and simple” – something that makes jobs on Wall Street or with established corporations seem safer. Instead Ehrenberg wants young entrepreneurs to be steeped in a “startup lore” and encourages experienced investors and founders/CEOs to tell what he contends are “better stories” about the challenges and opportunities that come with starting your own company.Ehrenberg points to a number of VCs who have become instructors at universities in order to “use their positions as vehicles for identifying top students, building relationships that ultimately result in ideas getting funded or students placed in promising start-ups.” However, he questions whether it’s worth waiting for more hiring or for an institutional change at the university level to encourage entrepreneurship, and urges instead a “grassroots effort on the part of local venture investors and successful start-up executives to get into the classrooms and onto campus to re-orient talented students away from the money culture and towards the building culture.”Although some universities are working to develop entrepreneurial programs, it may be that the “culture” of business school isn’t the right place on campus for the cultural transformation that Enhrenberg wants. (Entrepreneurs do major in things other than business.)Ehrenberg’s essays calls for a better “startup culture” and focuses primarily on storytelling from experienced VCs and entrepreneurs in order to foster it. How else might we go about fostering such a culture?You can read Ehrenberg’s full blog post here. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
zoomPetros Pappas, CEO of Star Bulk; Image Courtesy: Capital Link Greek shipping company Star Bulk Carriers has entered into an en bloc definitive agreement to purchase eleven dry bulk vessels from entities controlled by Delphin Shipping.The units, that were built by Jiangsu Hantong between 2012 and 2014, would be acquired for an aggregate purchase price of USD 139.5 million, payable in the form of USD 80 million in cash and 4.503 million common shares of Star Bulk.The company said it also secured exhaust gas cleaning systems for all of the vessels “with attractive delivery dates”.The cash portion would be financed through proceeds of a new seven-year capital lease of up to USD 93.6 million with China Merchants Bank Leasing, and an additional tranche of USD 15 million for financing of scrubbers, thus offering around USD 9 million of additional liquidity for Star Bulk.Expected to be finalized in June 2019, the acquisition remains subject to the execution of definitive finance agreements and customary closing conditions.The technical management of the 11 vessels, featuring from 56,600 to 63,100 dwt, would remain with an entity affiliated with Technomar, while commercial management will be taken over by Star Bulk.If concluded, the transaction would increase Star Bulk’s fleet to 120 vessels.
Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter IMPERIAL BEACH (KUSI) — A coalition of port and South Bay officials Friday plan to announce the next step in their legal strategy to force federal action to stop the “almost continuous” flow of sewage from the Tijuana River into the U.S., they announced Thursday.The first step came in the fall when Chula Vista, Imperial Beach and the Port of San Diego were among the entities that filed an intent to sue the agency in charge of U.S.-Mexico water treaties over what they say is federal inaction regarding the tens of millions of gallons of sewage that has fouled South Bay communities.The announcement is expected to be an update regarding the legal action against the U.S. Section of the International Boundary and Water Commission.“There is nothing more important to me and my colleagues on the City Council that we can continue to surf, swim and play on our gorgeous beach that belongs to everyone in the state of California,” Imperial Beach Mayor Serge Dedina said after the initial legal filing.Authorities on the U.S. side of the border are frequently forced to close beaches as far north as the Hotel del Coronado following storms when sewage is driven out of Baja and into American waters.The Tijuana Slough National Wildlife Refuge and Border Field State Park are currently closed for swimming following rain earlier this week. County environmental health officials say that the access road to Friendship Park may even be contaminated with Mexican sewage.A particularly extreme example of the problem came last March after a wastewater collector in Tijuana collapsed and sewage was diverted into the Tijuana and Alamar rivers during repair work.The breakdown resulted in the flow of at least 28 million gallons of raw sewage flowed from Mexico to the Pacific Ocean, causing a widespread stench and elevated levels of E. coli bacteria in the Tijuana River Valley. KUSI Newsroom, Posted: March 1, 2018 KUSI Newsroom March 1, 2018 Coalition of Port, South Bay officials to announce legal strategy to end sewage contamination from Tijuana River
This story originally appeared on PCMag 2 min read April 11, 2017 Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. For General Motors, the immediate future of autonomous driving isn’t about letting car owners trust their vehicles to drive themselves all the time, but rather occasionally being able to remove their hands from the wheel and let the car take over.That future arrives this fall in the form of the Super Cruise feature on the Cadillac CT6. By combining inputs from cameras and radar sensors mounted on the luxury sedan’s body with a precision map database, the CT6 will control its speed and keep itself in the center of a lane during highway driving. Although you may not need to keep your hands on the wheel while Super Cruise is active, it’s far from a set-it-and-forget-it technology. It’s actually watching you almost as closely as it’s monitoring the road ahead: the system includes a camera and infrared lights mounted directly onto the steering column to observe where you’re looking at all times.If Super Cruise determines you’re not paying attention to the road, it will trigger a system of alerts: visual indicators in the instrument cluster, tactile alerts such as seat vibrations and audible warning tones. If you still ignore it — maybe you’re fast asleep, or engrossed in a game on your smartphone — Super Cruise will bring the car to a complete stop as soon as it’s safe to do so.”When we were developing Super Cruise we knew it was important to keep the driver engaged during operation,” engineer Barry Walkup said in a statement. “That’s why we’ve added a driver attention function, to insist on driver supervision.”Super Cruise bears a close resemblance to the Tesla Autopilot feature, which can also take over steering and speed control while requiring the driver to stay alert. Neither system would be possible without super-accurate mapping databases, which allow the car to pinpoint its exact location without relying on often-fickle GPS signals.GM says its database contains map data for every mile of limited-access highway in the U.S. and Canada, obtained using Lidar sensors. It’s four to eight times more accurate than GPS signals. Enroll Now for Free