School secretaries strike to go ahead on Friday over pay and conditions

first_imgMajor administrative disruption is expected tomorrow (Friday) as school secretaries begin a campaign of industrial action over pay and conditions.The staff represented by Fórsa say they have been victims of an “antiquated and discriminatory” two-tier pay system since 1978.The union says that some secretaries employed by school management boards can earn as little as €12,500 a year, and only have non-permanent contracts, leaving them obliged to sign-on over the summer when schools are closed. A meeting on Wednesday morning with the Department of Education ended without agreement.Fórsa said that school secretaries would engage in a brief one-hour work stoppage at the start of the school day on Friday.“Secretaries will protest outside their school, or may join with colleagues at another school protest for the duration of the stoppage.”“Protests will take place at 250 schools across the country, while up to a thousand schools are expected to be affected by the stoppage.” “Thereafter they will commence a significant work to rule.”The Department of Education described the planned industrial action as “premature and unwarranted”.It urged Fórsa to reconsider the stoppage and work-to-rule, adding that it remains fully open to having further dialogue once the accurate cost of the claim had been calculated.A spokesperson for the Department of Education said officials had met Fórsa representatives in late May, when the union had formally tabled a claim seeking public service pay scales, year-round working patterns and access to a public service pension scheme for secretaries and caretakers employed directly by schools, and whose salaries are funded from grants.He said these demands were tabled as a follow-on claim a 2016-2019 pay agreement, which provided for a 10% pay increase over that period, and a higher minimum hourly rate of €13. He noted that that deal does not expire until December.School secretaries strike to go ahead on Friday over pay and conditions was last modified: September 19th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

admin

Mr Price Pro set to be better than ever

first_imgFormer championSouth Africa’s foremost campaigner on the elite Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Championship Tour, Jordy Smith, has confirmed he will once again compete in the prestigious event. The Mr Price Pro Ballito Champion in 2010, Smith will be looking to win the title again in an event that is close to his heart. The powerful, barreling surf at Willard’s Beach has become a favourite stop for touring professionals, who make their annual pilgrimage from as far afield as the USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Japan and Tahiti to test their skills in its spitting tubes and punchy beach-break ramps. Entries have already begun to stream in with world number 26, Yadin Nicol of Australia, being the first man to get his in. A standout in the large, hollow waves of Hawaii’s notorious North Shore this past season (December 2012), Nicol is well suited to the challenging waves of Ballito. He represents the calibre of surfer anticipated for this year’s event. SAinfo reporter “Ballito is an incredible wave in the wintertime,” Smith said. “It is a special event for me because it’s at home and it means I get to compete in front of my friends and family. I’ve won it before, so I am looking forward to going back to see if I can take it out once again.” The Mr Price Pro Ballito is set to heat up the South African winter when it takes place for a fifth season on the wave-rich KwaDukuza coast in KwaZulu-Natal. A host of the world’s finest surfers will do battle for the title from 1 to 7 July. While the surfers ride the ocean waves by day, spectators will be rocked by sound waves at night as Mr Price once again presents the Free Music Concerts at Salt Rock on 4, 5 and 6 July. As one of just eight Prime events on the ASP World Qualifying Series, and the only internationally rated professional event on the African continent, the Mr Price Pro Ballito offers surfers valuable ASP ratings points, not to mention a substantial R 2.2-million (US$250 000) in prize purse. It is also critical for surfers hoping to qualify for the elite ASP World Championship Tour in 2014. “Opportunities like this enable the foundation to impact the lives of children from our programmes in a different and special way. Their participation in fun activities at the Pro means a lot to them and gives them exposure to international events and opportunities they would never have dreamt of.” “It is my great pleasure to welcome some of the world’s top 96 surfers to our sunny shores. KwaDukuza has been home to the Mr Price Pro Ballito for the past five years and we look forward to sharing with both our international and domestic visitors our position as a world class surfing and holiday destination,” said KwaDukuza Mayor Ricardo Mthembu. FestivalThe Mr Price Pro Ballito Beach Festival will once again run in conjunction with the surfing from 1 to 7 July. It is reputed to be the biggest beach festival on the African continent and in excess of 70 000 people flooded the gates over the seven days in 2012. This year’s Festival is expected to see record numbers once again, with more exciting cultural, retail, lifestyle and sports entertainment in store. For the first time, from 2 to 4 July, the Mr Price Pro Ballito will incorporate a Food and Wine festival, bringing mouth-watering flavours to the beach and adding a new and exciting dynamic to this year’s festival. 19 February 2013 “We are encouraged and excited that the parties involved in the Mr Price Pro have chosen the RedCap Foundation to benefit from the event in various ways,” Smangele Mbeje of the Red Cap Foundation said. Featuring an elite 96-man field, only the highest rated surfers on the ASP One World Rankings qualify for the event, with just a few spots open to local wildcards. Social investmentThe RedCap Foundation has been selected as the event’s Social Investment Programme. It will benefit from this year’s festival, with a number of fun activities aimed at impacting the lives of children in need. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

admin

2015 Ohio State Fair Commercial Cattle Show results

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The 2015 Ohio State Fair Commercial Cattle Show participants exhibited 17 pens of three for a total of 51 head of commercial steers and heifers on August 2, 2015 during the fair. Judging the event were John Adams, Feed Sales Director with Trupointe Cooperative, and Tony Reed, cattle buyer for JBS. The show was managed by United Producers, Inc. and the Ohio Cattlemen’s Association served as a sponsor.Fred Voge of West Alexandria, Ohio, exhibited the Overall Grand Champion Lot of 3, which was also named the Champion Lot of 3 Steers, along with the Overall Reserve Grand Champion Lot of 3 which was also named the Champion Lot of 3 Heifers. The Reserve Champion Lot of 3 Heifers also went to Fred Voge.Winning the Reserve Champion Lot of 3 Steers was Phelps/O’Connor Farms Limousin of Belle Center, Ohio.Winners of the live show received premiums of more than $5,000 from the Ohio State Fair.last_img read more

admin

Woods and wildlife workshop March 17

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The emerald ash borer (EAB) has killed millions of ash trees in Ohio, the Midwest and eastern North America, including possibly yours. But there are ways to help your woods bounce back.For starters, you should scout for invasive plants on a regular basis, said Kathy Smith, forestry expert at The Ohio State University. If you find any, you should root them out.With fewer trees in your woods and more gaps in the canopy, “the concern is that non-native invasive species can quickly get out of hand,” Smith said. She named buckthorns, honeysuckles, garlic-mustard and kudzu as a few of the many invaders you should watch for.Woods hit by ash borers also may need selective thinning, seedling planting and changes in the owner’s management goals, Smith said, all depending on how many ash trees died and what kinds of trees remain. Harvesting timber may need to be reduced in some cases.Smith will speak on the topic at the Ohio River Valley Woodland and Wildlife Workshop near Cincinnati on March 17. The event offers 15 sessions on subjects including birds, bats, trees, bees, ponds, and timber and wildlife management. It’s for landowners in the Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana tri-state region. It’s also for anyone else interested in conservation.Smith, who is forestry program director in Ohio State’s College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences (CFAES), and specifically in CFAES’s School of Environment and Natural Resources (SENR), is one of the workshop’s organizers. She said the session she’ll give, called “Woodland Management After EAB,” will share details on regaining a “healthy, functioning forest.”Marne Titchenell, wildlife program specialist with CFAES and SENR, said invasive plants affect animals, too.Which plants are better for animals?“Forest wildlife depend on native plants for food and cover,” said Titchenell, who, like Smith, will speak at the workshop and is one of its organizers. But invasive plants often will outcompete natives and make good food and cover hard to come by.Titchenell said invasive honeysuckle shrubs, for example, offer less-nutritious berries for birds and poorer cover for their nests. The birds’ fitness and breeding success go down.She said invasive plants also can hurt people, noting that invasive Japanese barberry shrubs are linked to increases in ticks and tick-borne diseases, including Lyme disease.Such plants can be managed successfully, Titchenell said, but only if landowners make it a priority. She said her workshop session, “How Invasive Plants Impact Forest Wildlife,” will give tips and reasons for doing so.Four university programs in the region are hosting the workshop: CFAES, University of Kentucky Forestry Extension, Kentucky State University, and Purdue Extension Forestry and Natural Resources.Bees, trees, stranger thingsA sampling of some of the other sessions includes:“Native Bees” by Denise Ellsworth, director of CFAES’s Honey Bee and Native Pollinator Education program, the health of bees and other pollinators being a global concern because of recent population declines.“Tree Identification” by Doug McLaren of University of Kentucky Extension, proper ID being helpful in determining which trees are native or invasive, produce food for wildlife or pollinators, or are saleable as timber.“Ways to Manage for Bats in Your Woodland” by Tim Divoll and Joy O’Keefe of Indiana State University, the health of bats, too, being a growing concern because of white-nose syndrome, a new disease that’s been killing them.“10 Ways to Manage Wildlife in Your Woods” by Brian MacGowan of Purdue University Extension.“Timber Management Practices for Your Woodland” by Richard Cristan of Kentucky State University.“Weird Things in the Woods: Some Common Pests and Diseases” by Joe Boggs, educator in the Hamilton County office of CFAES’s Ohio State University Extension outreach arm.“Your Land, Your Legacy” by Dave Apsley, OSU Extension natural resources specialist.See the full schedule of sessions and speakers at go.osu.edu/agenda.last_img read more

admin

Joshua Pacio looks to thrive under pressure in chase to regain belt

first_imgPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess PH U14 girls team qualifies for ITF World Juniors Championships ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight PLAY LIST 00:52ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anewcenter_img LATEST STORIES MANILA, Philippines—Team Lakay has been under a microscope ever since the famed stable lost all of its four World titles in ONE Championship in a span of three months at the start of 2019.ADVERTISEMENT “If there’s an opportunity for a knockout, I’ll go for it. But based on experience, you can’t look too much for a knockout cause it usually turns out the other way around,” said Pacio. “If we’re going to look at it in the point system, I still feel like I won. But if you’re watching the bout, I understand how they feel that Saruta won—he kept moving forward and he was aggressive.”“Now the plan is to be committed with my attack. Last time, I was caught off guard and I wasn’t able to throw what I wanted to.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated “This is not a new situation to us, we’re used to it already,” said Pacio. “In situations like this, the pressure is our friend. Now it’s up to us on how we’ll get our belts back.”Pacio was the first Team Lakay fighter to lose his World title after Saruta’s aggression and early control of the fight earned the Japanese the razor-thin decision win.Geje Eustaquio came next, yielding the ONE World flyweight belt to Adriano Moraes.Team Lakay then suffered its greatest defeat when Kevin Belingon lost the ONE World featherweight belt to Bibiano Fernandes and Eduard Folayang relinquishing the ONE World lightweight title to Shinya Aoki on March 31 in Tokyo.Pacio said he’s going all out in his rematch with Saruta especially since he believes he was the true winner of their first fight in Jakarta.ADVERTISEMENT There is, however, someone who can start reclaiming Lakay’s glorious mystique from 2018 and that is 23-year-old Joshua Pacio.Pacio (13-3) was once the owner of the ONE World strawweight championship but he suffered an unfortunate split decision loss to Japanese fighter Yosuke Saruta (19-8-3) back in January, but he’s focused more than ever to regain the strap that once belonged to him.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsThe strawweight contender will have a chance at his previous title on Friday when he faces Saruta for the rematch in the co-main event of ONE: Roots of Honor at Mall of Asia Arena with thousands of prying eyes set to watch him intently.And Pacio is relishing that attention. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles View commentslast_img read more

admin