House approves health protocol proposed by KPU for regional polls

first_imgHe was referring to the pandemic, which began to hit the country in March.The KPU found itself under pressure to come up with special measures after the House and government decided in late May that this year’s regional elections should be held on Dec. 9 to elect 270 regional leaders, comprising nine governors, 224 regents and 37 mayors, even though the epidemic showed no sign of easing. The elections were pushed back by around three months from their initial schedule of Sept. 23, as mandated by a regulation in lieu of law issued by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo in May.Despite their approval on Monday, lawmakers urged the KPU and Bawaslu to carry out their respective duties in accordance with the health protocols and to always communicate with the local task forces so as to protect election officials, voters and candidates from infection.“It is my hope that KPU and Bawaslu can be very careful in applying their health protocols during the elections,” Commission II member and National Mandate Party (PAN) politician Guspardi Gaus said during the hearing. The House of Representatives has approved a set of health measures devised by the General Elections Commission (KPU) for holding the Dec. 9 regional elections to protect election organizers and voters from the spread of COVID-19.House Commission II, which oversees home affairs, green-lighted the proposed health protocol in a hearing with the KPU, the Elections Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) and Home Ministry on Monday.“Commission II and the Home Ministry approved the KPU’s election regulation proposal for holding elections of governors and deputy governors, regents and deputy regents, mayors and deputy mayors amid the non-natural disaster,” Commission II deputy chairman Saan Mustopa of the NasDem Party said. Critics have urged policymakers to push back the elections to 2021 over fears the outbreak could continue until late into the year. They also warned against low voter turnout.Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician Johan Budi said election organizers had to ensure both public health and the quality of the electoral process.The KPU regulation, along with a similar regulation introduced by Bawaslu as an election monitoring body, state that health rules, for instance, the use of face masks and physical distancing, are mandatory for KPU officers, candidates and voters during all stages of an election, from the ongoing preparation to the final vote count a week after voting day.It also limits the number of participants of indoor election campaign events to 40 percent of the venue’s capacity. Campaign activities that involve massive crowds, such as music concerts, are banned.COVID-19 patients will be allowed to cast their vote after 12 p.m., an hour before voting booths close, at designated polling stations at nearby hospitals.KPU chairman Arief Budiman said they had drafted the regulation after consulting with the COVID-19 national task force, adding that the KPU was committed to applying strict health protocol without hampering the elections.“I think all are in agreement that it is important to implement health protocols during the Dec. 9 elections without reducing the democratic quality [of the elections]. That is our spirit,” he said.Topics :last_img read more

Rogue tenants force renovation in inner Brisbane suburb

first_imgThe house on the cover of the City North News after it was trashed by tenants.THEY were called ‘losing the bond’ parties, but when university students dragged couches on to the roof of their Hendra rental house to watch Brisbane’s Riverfire fireworks, they lost the bond and the house.“The house had been trashed; it was uninhabitable,” owner Michael Pinter said of the 2009 incident.BEFORE: Some of the broken tiles on the roof of 1 Dora St, Hendra after one of many wild parties.“My wife had no idea until one of the day care mums handed her a copy of the front page of the (local) paper.”The City North News story, headlined: “Out of Control”, revealed how residents in the exclusive inner city address were living in fear from rogue tenants who had caused major damage to the house with countless all-night parties.MORE REAL ESTATE STORIESHome of toilet brush pioneer to fetch $12 millionRental vacancies tighten across QueenslandBrisbane home values to jumpVideo Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 2:21Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -2:21 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenBuyer’s agent reveals her biggest horror stories02:21“A while back one of the parties got out of hand and a huge fire erupted all over the street,” one neighbour was quoted as saying at the time.BEFORE: The house was uninhabitable.Michael Pinter and Vanessa Edwards had bought the property in 2005 and lived there until 2008 when they moved to Nundah and turned it into a rental. The property was managed separately and Mr Pinter ‘stayed at arms length’.WHAT’S FOR RENT IN HENDRA RIGHT NOW“The timing was post-GFC, we were in a bind and needed to rent it out, and they did pay the rent. But this was the tipping point … the end of that illusion.”Broken tiles and smashed beer bottles littered the roof and damage resulted in water ingress inside the house.BEFORE: Water damage in the house.Plans to renovate and return to Hendra were brought forward and an extra $50,000-$100,000 was added to the $750,000 renovation cost.BEFORE: A built-in cabinet in the main living room, with broken glass.“It was my biggest renovation to that point,” Mr Pinter, who runs his own Linear Design and Construct building company, said.“It was my ground zero moment.”BEFORE: 1 Dora St, Hendra in 2009.A new roof and all new internal linings were additional costs in the 10-month renovation of the 1920s Queenslander, which was also raised and built in underneath.AFTER: 1 Dora St, Hendra gets a new lease on life.“They were pretty fortunate,” Mr Pinter said of the rooftop partygoers. “There was quite a bit of damage up there. How no-one fell through is anyone’s guess. If they’d stood in the wrong place, they would have gone straight through.”All the horsehair plaster was water-damaged and had to be removed and smashed windows replaced. The terracotta tiled roof, which was initially going to be restored and regrouted, could not be salvaged and was replaced with metal roof sheeting.“We bit the bullet and did it all. We wanted to make everything uniform throughout,” he said.The house, on an 814sq m block, was pushed forward and raised.“It’s on a slight slope so we used a cut and fill arrangement with the site,” he said.The finished house has main living areas downstairs with an oversized kitchen, scullery, dining and living area and a rumpus.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus11 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market11 hours agoAFTER: The built-in ground level has open-plan living.There is a guest bedroom with an ensuite and a home office at the front of the house with a separate powder room and laundry.The upstairs has four bedrooms including the master with a walk-in wardrobe and ensuite, and a separate main bathroom.AFTER: The upstairs ensuite with plantation shutters.The original lounge room has been cut out to make a 6.5m atrium at the entrance.“We’ve kept the actual configuration of upstairs to minimise changes and I’ve repurposed the rooms, the kitchen has been converted into a bedroom, and the sunroom is an ensuite.”In keeping with the character of the street, the original facade has been restored, to the delight of the neighbourhood.AFTER: A picture perfect entrance.“Everyone knows this house, it has a bit of notoriety, but now the house stands on its own merits. I think everyone is more than delighted with how it’s finished.”The renovation was completed in 2011 and the couple, whose twin daughters are now aged 11, have lived in the home ever since.AFTER: Looking towards the kitchen and outdoor terrace.“We did the lion’s share in 2010 but we couldn’t afford it all at that stage and we finished the last part, the pool and landscaping probably 12 months ago,” he said.“There’s still a little bit more to do. Mainly in landscaping, tiling, paving, things like that, and I wouldn’t mind an outdoor barbecue area. That would be nice.”FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOKVideo Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 1:42Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -1:42 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenTop 5 hot Brisbane suburbs 01:43last_img read more

‘Pusher’ falls in buy-bust

first_imgPalmes – resident of the village – wasnabbed after he sold a sachet of suspected illegal drugs to an undercover copfor P500 around 3:30 a.m. on Feb. 27, it added. Suspected shabu weighing about fourgrams valued at around P32,000 was seized from 26-year-old Elester Palmes inBarangay Mansilingan, a police report showed. The suspect was detained in thecustodial facility of Police Station 2, facing charges for violation ofRepublic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 will befile against Palmes./PNcenter_img BACOLOD City – He allegedly sold illegaldrugs.last_img read more

Women’s World Cup 2019: Rattled USWNT bailed out against Spain, seals dream quarterfinal

first_imgREIMS, France — Before the World Cup even began, fans had June 28 circled on their calendars.If everything played out the way it was expected, the United States would take on hosts France that day in a dream quarterfinal, a game that would see the two tournament favorites clash in Paris. That game is now a reality, but it took nearly everything out of the U.S. in Monday’s 2-1 victory over Spain to get there. MORE: Three takeaways from USWNT vs. SpainJill Ellis’ side was surprisingly pushed to the limit by Spain, which was done in by naive defending in a game in which it successfully rattled the U.S. throughout.Were it not for two poor challenges in the box from its defenders, Spain might have secured one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history. Instead, Spain will have to rue a major missed opportunity.Just like every other game so far this tournament, the U.S. came out swinging early. Megan Rapinoe’s seventh-minute penalty saw the team continue their trend of scoring inside the first 12 minutes of every game at the World Cup thus far.But unlike the team’s previous three games, this time, the USWNT’s opponent punched back.Spain took advantage of some disastrous play out of the back just two minutes after Rapinoe’s opener and found a quick equalizer through Jenni Hermoso’s strike.That goal left the U.S. staggered, particularly its back line.Goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher, in her first tournament as the starter, was partially at fault on Spain’s opener as she played Becky Sauerbrunn into a tight spot from which she gave the ball away.This clearly rattled Naeher, who nearly turned the ball over again minutes later before another shaky moment in which she headed a ball out that she could have clearly handled.The USWNT’s attack was not at its best, either, particularly Rapinoe. After her early goal from the spot, Rapinoe struggled mightily, turning the ball over on the flank and failing to spark the U.S. offense the way she normally does.Alex Morgan, meanwhile, went down with an injury midway through the first half, possibly the same problem that saw her sit for the second half against Sweden last week. Morgan returned to the game, but she did not seem to be at 100 percent and continued to be battered throughout the game.MORE: Full Women’s World Cup bracket, scheduleSpain, for its part, executed its plan to perfection, pressing the U.S. at selective opportunities and matching its intensity from the first whistle. Meanwhile, Ellis surprisingly refused to make a substitution until the 85th minute despite the USWNT’s incredibly deep bench and temperatures that neared 90 degrees for much of the game.Just as frustration appeared close to boiling over, the U.S. was bailed out. With 20 minutes left to play, Rose Lavelle went down in the box under minimal contact from Virginia Torrecilla. For the second time in the game, referee Katalin Kulcsar pointed to the spot. After a lengthy VAR review, the call was confirmed, and Rapinoe, once again, stepped up to the spot and buried her shot.There will be plenty of questions asked of the U.S. after this game, but in a knockout tournament, ultimately, survival is all that counts.The USWNT will live to fight another day, but bigger tests lie ahead, especially on Friday in Paris.last_img read more